Deer Lake is a moderately sized kettle lake located in south-central Charlevoix County. High hills stand between the lake and Boyne City to the north, Boyne Falls to the east, and East Jordan to the west. Deer Lake sits at the headwaters of Deer Creek, which is a major tributary of the Jordan River. Deer Creek begins as an outflow from the lake and flows nearly 10 miles west before its confluence with the Jordan River to the south of East Jordan. Deer Lake is, therefore, part of the Jordan River and larger Lake Charlevoix Watersheds. (Click here to see Northern Michigan's finest collection of Boyne Mountain vacation rentals)
Residents in the surrounding area value Deer Lake as an escape where one can go to enjoy a relaxing day on the water in relative peace; soaking up sights and sounds of the lake with little interference from other people. The Boyne Mountain Golf Course and Deer Lake Villas, both associated with Boyne Resorts, are located on the southeast side of the lake. Falls Park of Wilson Township is located on the west shore of the lake and is a popular destination for fishing. South of the lake is a large expanse of State Forest in the Gaylord Management Unit. (Click here to see Northern Michigan's finest collection of vacation rentals)
Spend the day down at The Beach at Deer Lake and enjoy a wide variety of activities for the whole family to enjoy. Whether you stay dry on a paddleboard or cool off with a quick dip, a day at the beach is a day well spent.
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding
- Canoe / Kayak Rental
- Small Sailboat Rental
- Lawn Games - Putt Putt, Bean Bag Toss, and more!
The Beach House Restaurant, located on the west side of Boyne Mountain Resort, just steps away from the Boyne Mountain Golf Shop and the shores of beautiful Deer Lake and is home to one of the best viewing locations for summer sunsets in town.
Monitoring and Research:
Deer Lake is monitored every three years through the Watershed Council’s Comprehensive Water Quality Monitoring (CWQM) Program for dissolved oxygen, specific conductivity, pH, nitrate-nitrogen, total nitrogen, total phosphorus, and chloride levels. The Lake Charlevoix Watershed Management Plan Advisory Committee meets regularly to discuss watershed issues and work together to implement plan recommendations, including those pertaining to Deer Lake.
Frequently Asked Questions About Deer Lake
- What are the most popular destinations to visit in Deer Lake? There are many lovely places to stay for a holiday trip or just for a weekend in Deer Lake. From Vrbo travelers, the top most popular destinations to visit are: Boyne City, Charlevoix, East Jordan, Harbor Springs, and Petoskey.
- What are the most popular points of interest to visit in Deer Lake? The top points of interest are: Avalanche Bay Waterpark, Lake Charlevoix Depot Beach, Charlevoix Beach, Harbor Springs Beach, Castle Farms, and Bay Harbor.
- What are the main cities to discover near Deer Lake? The top cities of interest are: Bellaire, Boyne City, Charlevoix, East Jordan, Gaylord, Harbor Springs, and Petoskey.
- Is Deer Lake part of Boyne Mountain Resort? Well, yes and no. The Beach House restaurant and the adjacent beach are part of the resort and you need to be a guest to use beach. However, the restaurant is open to the public. There is also a public boat launch as well.
- What Makes this Lake Desirable for Families? Well, the lake is very shallow and has a very gradual slope so Boyne guests can watch their kids swim while refreshing themselves at the outdoor Tikihut.
"I'd like to help you buy or sell your Deer Lake property. Send me a message or give me a call at 231.459.3179 to learn more today